Queensland must have Independent Commission Against Corruption (ICAC)

Member for Cairns Rob Pyne’s call for an Independent Commission Against Corruption (ICAC) to be established in Qld has gathered momentum following a Queensland Mayor being arrested and charged with offences including extortion.

Pyne condemned the Palaszczuk Government for a failure to listen to concerns he raised in Parliament over many sittings, which most recently resulted in him being referred to as a ‘coward’. He said, “The CCC has a large archive of complaints that need to be reviewed. Whistleblowers and complainants from the past need to be interviewed and given an opportunity for a proper hearing”

Pyne said, “The current process is inadequate. Just getting the CCC to investigate is a massive obstacle. The percentage of complaints investigated is LESS than 2%. The remaining 98% are referred back to the organisation being complained about.”

Professor Prenzler said of the CCC “Over three decades the Commission had failed in its task of independently investigating allegations and preventing misconduct by sending complaints back to the agency concerned where they usually vanished, leaving complainants disillusioned, angry and vulnerable.”

“These are not victimless crimes, people have suffered, lives have been lost. This is not about me, this is about our state and stamping out crime and corruption in the public sector.

“I continue to call for the Palaszczuk Government to support an Independent Commission Against Corruption (ICAC) for the Sunshine State. Today I have written to The Premier requesting:

  • Establishment of an ICAC in Qld.
  • A ban on property developer donations to Mayors and Councillors.

 

This matter is now so serious and urgent that should the Palaszczuk Government fail to act they will be increasingly infected by the stench of existing and emerging corruption.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *